Try this Delicious Whole Wheat Barfi made with your favourite Aashirvaad Atta
Learn how to make Delicious Whole Wheat Barfi at home this festive season
The famous traditional milk based sweet that melts in the mouth is none other than the barfi. Blocks of semi-solid reduced milk with a delicate, crumbly build are glazed with a distinctly cracked and edible silver layer. Barfi recipe usually involves a mixture of milk, mawa, ghee, desiccated coconut that’s usually topped off with slivered nuts and saffron.
Originating from North India, barfi is one of the most-sought after festive treat to celebrate festivals such as Diwali, Holi, Makar Sankranti and Ganesh Chaturthi. Resembling the crumbly fudge, barfi is a common dessert staple that’s famous throughout India. As far as the shape goes, they are usually broken into squares and diamonds. Based on the choice of primary ingredients, flavors and toppings, the resulting texture, consistency, and colour may vary but one fact remains the same – It’s still a sweet delight!
Traditionally, barfis are made with mawa, which is reduced milk in a semi-solid state, sweetened for taste. Mawa, along with ghee, milk and other ingredients make up for a considerably high calorie content in barfis. While everyone loves gorging themselves on delicious pieces of barfi, most people have to stop at a single piece. Since they are perceived as an unhealthy indulgence, many barfi lovers are sadly held back from enjoying their favorite sweet treat.
Although there is an easy way to turn barfi from unhealthy, to healthier by making some changes to the traditional recipe. For this barfi recipe with a healthy twist, all you need to do is prepare a batch of whole wheat barfi with whole wheat atta at home. Some people may visibly recoil at the thought of making homemade barfi, but this is a quick, easy and much health-friendly version of your beloved mithai.
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need to make your own wholesome batch of barfi at home, including the detailed step-by-step recipe. Surprise your family and friends with their favorite dessert, which they can now eat guilt-free!
Whole Wheat Barfi Recipe Information
- Type of Recipe: Dessert
- Cuisine: North Indian
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 200
- Aashirvaad Atta– 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Aashirvaad Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Nuts to garnish
How to Prepare Whole Wheat Barfi?
- In a pan heat in ghee , once it is melted add in the Aashirvaad atta and roast in a low flame until the colour changes to golden and you will get a nice aroma.
- Next add in the cardamom powder and the Jaggery. Mix well. Cook till the jaggery melts and blends well with the Aashirvaad atta.
- Keep a tray or plate greased with ghee ready. Now transfer the Aashirvaad atta to the greased plate and level it.
- While it is still hot draw lines to shape it into burfi’s and garnish with any nuts of your choice. Once it cools down you can separate them into pieces.