Learn How to make Kerala Style Brinjal Curry Recipe (Ennai Kathirikai) at Home?
Kathirikai Curry is a traditional South Indian curry prepared with brinjals. It is also known by the name Ennai Kathirikai, which roughly translates to “Brinjals in Oil”. This name is derived from the preparation of the Ennai Kathirikai curry which involves sautéing the brinjals in oil first.
Later, the tempering for the curry is prepared with a bunch of other whole spices like mustard seeds, methi seeds, Urad dal along with a combination of dry spices such as turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and iodised salt. For best results, smaller baby brinjals are used in the preparation of the Kathrikai Curry instead of the larger ones.
The Kathirikai Curry has a complex flavour achieved by a combination of exotic whole spices, dry masala, jaggery, grated coconut and a few more ingredients. Kathrikai Curry is best enjoyed with freshly prepared soft rotis made with AASHIRVAAD atta. It can also be served with rice since the Kathrikai Curry has a luscious and thick gravy. This viscous gravy is formed by the addition of finely chopped onions and tomatoes to this dish.
Brinjals are known by many different names such as eggplant, aubergine and Kathrikai, which is the Tamil name for this vegetable. It has many nutritional benefits, and helps aid in digestion, reducing risk of heart ailments, controlling blood sugar and more.
Kathrikai Curry Recipe Information
- Type of recipe: Main Course
- Cuisine: South Indian
- Preparation Time: 45 Mins
- Serves: 4
Ingredients for Kathrikai Curry Recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 brinjals
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp methi seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- a few curry leaves
- 2-3 dry red chillies
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger- garlic paste
- ½ cup tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp Aashirvaad turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Aashirvaad red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Aashirvaad coriander powder
- 1 tsp Aashirvaad salt
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 3 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
How to prepare Kathrikai Curry recipe at home?
- Heat oil in a pan add onions, Aashirvaad salt, sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, Aashirvaad turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, grated coconut,
- Aashirvaad chili powder, Aashirvaad coriander powder.
- And cook it for 2 mins and then let it cool down.
- Transfer it into the blender and make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilies, urad dal (optional), curry leaves, sauté it.
- Add the prepared paste and let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice, water, mix it.
- Add jaggery, once it comes to boil.
- Add fried baby eggplant, salt, mix it well and cook this for few minutes, then switch off the flame.
Kathrikai Curry is a yummy dish for a family meal. With the help of this easy Kathrikai Curry recipe, you can prepare it within minutes.